FBA Board of Directors Meeting – June 2013
FBA Board Meeting June 24, 2013, 8:00 PM
Board members present – Tony Wolfe, Ed Hartwig, Marty Hyde, Don Miller, Gail Cushing, Steve Brumm and Katie Buchanan.
Guests present – Wendy Wolfe, Mac McLaughlin, Lou Goldman.
Email business – Katie Buchanan
- Judges status – due to illness waive one year judging requirement due to illness.
Treasurers Report – Marty Hyde
- Available Balance $27,032.88, No outstanding bills
Membership – Katie Buchanan
- 29 new members
- new life members – Bob Parker & Snow White
- total 808 members
- 27 life members
- 16 restaurants
- 6 corporate
- 156 teams
- 498 judges
Judges Committee – Marty Hyde
New Scoring System Staffed
- Gives Teams additional knowledge of why the Judges scored the product, however, could be miss leading if on Judge Comments, too salty, while another Judge states not salty enough.
- Good comment card to replace writing on the back.
- Math: Each Judge has 24 cards X 6 Judges per table = 144 cards X 6 tables = 864 cards. Additional burden on Reps and would delay Award Ceremony by at least an hour.
- As Judges, we can tell why it’s bad, but not necessarily tell a Cook Team what to do to make it better.
- Too complicated, not simple from many Judges.
- Current scoring system requires one card per Judges, per category, to make this change, a new scoring system would have to be rewritten.
- Presentation: Question quantity or variety, they are not Standards for judging. Does more meat get a higher score or an increase in variety gets a higher score.
- Taste: Smoke is not a standard for judging, too little, too much, taste is subjective.
- Tenderness: Bark/Skin not well defined. Temperature is not a standard for scoring and must be scored subjectively.
- Teams must never know who or what a Judges scores. Not name, no signature. Recommendations: Table until a requirement for a new scoring system is required.
Contests – Damon Wooley
ByLaws Committee – Lou Goldman & Tom Snow did great job. Will be finalized & ready to vote on by Fun Cook.
- Triple Crown to be discussed at Fun Cook.
No further business meeting adjourned at 8:51pm
Next meeting July 29, 2013
Minutes submitted by Katie Buchanan