FBA Board of Directors Meeting – March 2016
Florida BBQ Association
Board of Directors Meeting
March 28, 2016 at 8:00 PM
Present: Steve Brumm, Robin Yelverton, Jim Elser, Pat Brannen, Lori Frazee
Absent: Kevin French
Recorder: Connie Washam
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 8:04
Roll call to establish a quorum
Approve minutes of the February 29, 2016 meeting Robin moved Pat Brannen 2nd
Business conducted by Email – Connie Washam
Jim Elser made a motion that the FBA cover the cost for the trophy and ribbon for Russell Short that he should have receive in Haines City. 3rd Place Brisket – $30.00, 6th Place Ribbon – $2.20 for a total of $32.20. Lori Frazee 2nd. The motion carried
Jim Elser – Yes Lori Frazee – Yes Kevin French – Yes
Connie Washam – Yes Robin Yelverton – No response Pat Brannen – No response
Jim will pick up the ribbons when they are ready
Upon the recommendation from lead rep Sheilah Jones, “Connie Washam shadowed this weekend at Haines City and did a great job, I think she is ready to begin her Rep training. She followed directions and was shown all facets of the job and says that she would like to begin her training. What needs to be done to see if she can start in Eagle Lake this weekend?”
Jim Elser made a motion to have Connie Washam Enter the Rep training program. Pat Brannen 2nd The motion carried
Jim Elser – Yes Pat Brannen – Yes Kevin French – Yes
Robin Yelverton – Yes Connie Washam – Abstain Lori Frazee – No response
Jim Elser made a motion to accept Tim Hughes into the Rep Training program. Robin Yelverton 2nd
More discussion is needed as there are already two people in the rep training program and a revised motion needs to be made to make an exception For Tim, because he is not a Master Judge and this is an FBA requirement.
Financial Status Report – Robin Yelverton
$386.xx in the Paypal account.
Check from North Port today
The only outstanding invoices trophy/ribbon cost and it’s setup fees as well as the Team of the year banners.
Rep Checks for Kissimmee will be going out this week.
Membership Report – Secretary
The December membership renewal period is over. It is the smallest renewal group but we had a pretty good response.
796 current members. 149 are Family members 796 + 149 = 840 total members
98 members did not renew of that 16 are Family Members,
22 teams. 44 judges did not renew of that 5 Master Judges
New Members – Connie Washam
Individual: Stanley Williams, Landon Moore, Michael Goshen, Tony Culver, Edward Baynard, Alan Burton, Randie Sturgill, Matthew Ashley, Ron Austin, Heath Barry, John Murray
Family: Josh Zukar & Lee Reeder, Jason Cooper & Nick Newberry
- Approve change to the cook team rules to prohibit corned beef
- Approve sanction for Phi Delta Kappa BBQ Cook Off 12/14/2016
- Change the dates of the North Port Contest to 2nd weekend in March for 2017 and 2018
Connie made a motion to approve the consent agenda, Lori Frazee 2nd Consent agenda approved unanimously.
- Organizers – Don Fisher, No Report
- Cook Teams – Ben Purvis; No Report
- Judges – Louis Goldman; The judges committee is working on a few items but would like to see the items presented last month looking for a Table Captain script in the handbook (Lori is re-writing it with the judges committee), elimination of the 7.5 average. Louis Goldman feels that there should be a certified Table Captain Class. (the Judges manual is on the website to download and print)
Bob Youngblood; not doing a table captain class.
- New Contest Liaison
|Wild Adventures||3/9/2016||Called and they are busy with new season opening, not thinking about BBQ||Will call first week in April|
|Tavares||3/9/2016||Met with 3 principles, all is set to assist them with non-sanctioned contest|
|this year, and resume sanctioning 2017. Urged them to choose date soon.|
|Their records indicate they paid for 4 years in 2014. One thru Cheryl and|
|3 through the bundle plan. Could we verify the status please.||Contest scheduled for 4/29,30, 2016|
|Chattahoochee||3/11/2016||Set meeting with Lee Garner for 4/6/16 to discuss details for sanctioning||4/6/2016|
|Marianna||3/37/16||Sent email asking for any change in status||Will follow up in 30 days|
|Mims||3/4/2016||POC Cliff Hodges advised he is only getting contact established. He will|
|contact Barbara Simmons, a member of their Board, for further action||Will follow up in 30 days|
|3/24/2016||Odessa||3/24/2016||Called Shean Hylton, and emailed him. Have a tentative appointment with|
|him on 4/7/16 to further discuss details. He has sent sanctioning request.||Will continue to work with him|
|3/26/2016||Titusville||Received credible information the Rotary there is interested in sanctioning|
|in the future. Will establish POC and proceed at earliest opportunity|
Steve Brumm has been contacted by a lady in Crestview and would like to discuss sanctioning. She has had a non sanctioned event in the past. “3 Bs” (Blues BBQ & Beer)
- Status of the website; New Business:
- The FBA new website is functioning well. I have added a REPS section with updated files, insights and the latest REP schedule so it is always accessible by REP login. We had a few hiccups this past month due to WordPress plug-in updates causing some problems, but they have all been resolved.
- Changed the default calendar view to the “MAP” view which shows all events on a map of AL, GA, FL and a list of all upcoming events. Feedback from teams and judges seemed to prefer the list format over the calendar format for convenience on smart-phones.
- Next significant project is for me to reformat the current FBA membership database used by Connie to manage all memberships, in such a manner that it will be more easily imported into the website to set the stage for more advanced features that depend on the membership data (eg. Score tracking, contest count tracking, TOTY tracking and automation linked to Scorecard posting of contest results).
- All of the old FLBBQ files have been moved over to the FBABBQ server now into an archive so we can make them accessible via one website to cook teams, members and FBA historian (if we ever have one).
- Scorecard duplicate entries seems to be resolved by recent changes implemented by Will Cleaver. Still occasionally getting card rejections which are still identified in the software and easily resolved. Testing of Scorecard on the new website has not yet been completed, so we are continuing to run contests from the FLORIDABBQASSOCIATION.ORG site.
- Status of the Computer printer purchases: Have replaced 4 Lead REP printers with laser printers now (EJ, Sheilah, Dennis, Bob) and will supply laser to Lorne this coming weekend. Two latest contests used the faster laser printers to produce the score reports directly instead of using a copier. Result is significant time savings and completion of score entry and printing by roughly 3:00pm.
- Status of the merchandise link; The Queensboro site link is ready to be turned on. All the embroidered and printed products have been created and the logo has been updated to more closely match the official FBA logo. The necessary bank information has been sent so the Queensboro account can be completed and made available to the membership.
- Add the following to section I h of the judges manual the minimum age to judge an FBA event shall be 18. This has been an unwritten policy of FBA this change will make it official.
Lori Frazee made a motion to include in judges manual, the minimum age to judge to be 18 years of age. 2nd Pat Brannen. Motion passed unanimously.
- Add the following item to Representative Contest Policies in the Rep Manual: “22. In the event that the time of the awards ceremony is changed, the Lead Rep will make every reasonable effort to post the new time on the both FBA Facebook pages. Robin Yelverton made a motion to add the following wording to the rep manual “22. In the event that the time of the awards ceremony is changed, the Lead Rep will make every reasonable effort to post the new time on the both FBA Facebook pages. Lori 2nd. After much discussion it was determined that, as well as the FBA Representatives, the Organizer has equal responsibility to see that all the teams are notified if there is a change in the time of the awards ceremony be it early or be it late. The motion is defeated unanimously. There will be no change to the rep manual.
- Discuss the Waiver of rep requirements for Tim Hughes. After considerable discussion, Jim Elser made a motion to waive the master judge requirement and allow Tim Hughes to become a shadow Rep. Lori Frazee 2nd. the motion carried unanimously.
Meeting open for member comments:
Louis Goldman; If we’re going to go to ChefWorks for clothing is there an up-charge for ordering one item.
Meeting adjourned at: 8:59 Pat Brannen moved to adjourn Connie Washam 2nd
Next meeting: Monday, April 25, at 8:00 PM EDT via Teleconference. Call in number: 347-989-1121