FBA Board of Directors Meeting – April 2012
FBA Board of Directors Meeting – April 30, 2012
8:01 pm Meeting Open
Board Members Present: Dana Hillis, Tony Wolfe, Gail Cushing, Ricky Ginsburg, Ed Hartwig, Damon Wooley
Guests in Attendance: : Marty Hyde, Lou Goldman, Wendy Wolfe, Katie Buchanan
March minutes approved by email
- The March minutes were approved via emails.
- FBA purchased 3 new Dell computers for the 3 lead Reps for a total of $1920.00.
- FBA paid $481.00 for the merchandise trailer decals. You can see a photo of the trailer on the web site under the “Hot News” link. Since in use, the merchandise trailer has generated $1,121.77 in gross sales and after expenses, net total sales of $827.00.
- It was proposed to change the rule 3 for equipment to read “Each team will display a banner or sign with the name of their team no less than 12×12 at the front of their cook site”. The motion was found to be unnecessary.
- There was a unanimous vote for an amendment on the number Reps assigned to a contest. The old rule read: “The FBA will provide a minimum of three (3) FBA representatives to the sanctioned contest. Where the contest exceeds 50 teams, Professional, Backyard, or a combination of the two, or where there is both a Professional and a Backyard contest regardless of size, the FBA will provide one (1) additional representative. For each additional 10 teams the FBA will provide one (1) additional representative to a maximum of six (6) representatives at a contest.” The new revised rule reads “The FBA will provide a minimum of three (3) FBA representatives to the sanctioned contest. Where the contest exceeds 48 teams, Professional, Backyard, or a combination of the two, or where there is both a Professional and a Backyard contest regardless of size, the FBA will provide one (1) additional representative. For each additional 12 teams the FBA will provide one (1) additional representative to a maximum of six (6) representatives at a contest.”
- As of 4/22/2012 Ray Lesko resigned as a Board Member and Both Ray and Carol Rodehaver have resigned as FBA Reps.
- Judge, Cook Team and Table Captain meeting scripts are being reviewed and updated. Ricky Ginsburg has copies of the completed Cook team and Table Captain Scripts.
- We have $900 total for Triple Crown Sponsorship Money.
- The online voting was a success for the proposed change in By-Law. The Term of the Board of Directors will, starting in January with the newly appointed Board, will be 2 years. The voting will be held in December. Here is the official wording of the new bylaw:
Section 2. Number, Tenure, and Qualifications. The number of Directors shall be seven (7), including the Officers. Directors shall be elected on the second Tuesday of December both online and by mailed paper ballot for those members without Internet access, and the term of office of each Director shall be for two (2) full years beginning on January 1 of the year following their election.
We had the best turn out of voting by members in the history of the FBA.
Email Responses: 249 yes/12 no: Total 261
US Mail: 61 ballots mailed; 12 yes/4 No: Total 16
Grand Total: 261 Yes/16 No
The Bylaw change has passed.
- There will be a Judges Seminar Friday night at 6pm July 27th at Smokin On The Suwannee BBQ Festival in Live Oak, FL. Contact Marty Hyde if you are interested in being a part of the seminar.
Treasurer’s Report – Ricky Ginsburg:
- Total Assets: $33,017.64, no outstanding bills
- Database: 745 members of whom 18 are lifetime members, 9 are restaurants and 7 are corporate. We have 179 cook teams and 450 judges.
Membership – Gail M. Cushing: 18 New Members.
Contests – Damon Wooley:
- Funcook: We have 35 sites. Friday there will be a judge’s class, Saturday will be the fun cook, Saturday night will be the Dinner and Meeting. There will also be a desert contest on Saturday. Anyone can enter.
- The new electronic voting system was discussed. It was proposed that the votes for the new FBA Board will go to all the BOD members along with one additional non-board person for tally.
- Worlds Food Championship was discussed. We have 4 of our own going. The winner of Winter Haven: Big Papa’s Country Kitchen Barnsville: Git-R-Smoked, Thomaston: Unknown BBQ, and Live Oak: TBD. The winner of Lakeland is also one of our own: Jimmy Brod. Good luck to all of the teams. They will be competing against 90 teams total. www.worldsfoodchampionship.com if you are interested.
Judges Committee: Marty Hyde
- Marty has a list of topics in place to discuss with the other committee members. All members will be at Camp Mack on Sunday and will gather to discuss the 15 points Marty has written down. The proposed ideas will be shared with the Board next meeting.
Bylaws Committee: Lou Goldman
- Lou Goldman discussed getting the actual bylaws out to the members for feedback. It was deemed unnecessary by the board members. Nothing further was presented by the bylaws committee.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:52 pm
Respectfully submitted by: Gail M. Cushing
Next Meeting: May 21, 2012