FBA Board of Directors Meeting – November 2016
Florida BBQ Association
Board of Directors Meeting
November 28, 2016 at 8:00 PM
Present: Steve Brumm, Lori Frazee, Jim Elser, Pat Brannen,
Absent: Kevin French, Robin Yelverton
Recorder: Connie Washam
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 8:00 PM
Roll Call: We have a quorum
Approve minutes of the October BOD Meeting. will review the minutes and vote next month on October and November minutes.
Business conducted by email
Robin Yelverton made a motion to approve the Election ballot sent by Gary Washam. Kevin French 2nd. The motion carried
Robin Yelverton – Yes Kevin French – Yes Connie Washam – Yes
Pat Brannen – Yes Lori Frazee – Yes Jim Elser – No response
Because one candidate for Director at large failed to withdraw her nomination before the election had begun, we have been asked to stop this election and start over. FBA will incur a 2nd $90.00 fee for the election program and another $47.00 in postage.
Jim Elser made a motion we cancel the current voting, update the ballot and restart the election. Robin Yelverton 2nd. The motion carried
Jim Elser – yes Robin Yelverton – Yes Kevin French – Yes
Lori Frazee – Yes Connie Washam – No Pat Brannen – No Response
Kevin French made a motion that we make badges for the FBA “Original, charter” members at a cost of about $360.00. Pat Brannen 2nd the motion. The motion carried.
Kevin French – Yes Pat Brannen – Yes Connie Washam – Yes
Robin Yelverton – Yes Jim Elser – No response Lori Frazee – No response
David Haskett: It just takes one member to reconsider the action.
Although Lori Frazee felt the this was a good idea, she also felt that it did not address the membership as a whole and Jim wanted to reconsider this idea.
Lori Frazee made a motion not to spend the $360.00 for charter members badges. Jim Elser 2nd The motion failed.
Lori Frazee – yes Jim Elser – Yes Connie Washam – No Pat Brannen – No
Kevin French – Absent Robin Yelverton – Absent (tie) Steve Brumm – No
Financial Report – Robin Yelverton
Membership Report – Connie Washam
The election was restarted and paper ballots were resent.
881 total members.
Individual: James D. Croft, Timothy Powell, Sean Sanders and Christopher Warren (4)
Family: Dean &Teresa Ellis, Glen & Terry Stampler and Chris and Ashley Cannon (3)
Condolence card sent to Ruth Cukras at the passing of her husband Norman Cukras
FBA received a note from Gayle and Ruth Cukras, thanking us for remembering them.
Consent Agenda – President
- Approve up to $500 for meat and preparation for the judges seminar, December 9th in Perry.
Committee Reports – President
Lori Frazee made a motion to approve the consent agenda. Pat Brannen 2nd. The motion carried
- Organizers: Don Fisher
Making no progress contacting the other organizers to meet. (this committee will be disbanded)
- Cook Teams – B, en Purvis No report
- Judges – Louis Goldman
- We would like to start 2017 off with the new scorecards as previously approved (see attached).
- The committee is waiting for the taste and tenderness comments for the Judges Manual. These comments were requested by and are to be supplied by the Cooks Committee so that they can be reviewed by our committee before being added to the Judges Manual.
- The on line Judges Manual cannot be word processed. A copy of the Manual with hand written changes (other than taste and tenderness) has been submitted to the President for approval by the BOD.
- The Judges Committee would like to have the contest sanctioning agreement include requiring each organizer to have a web site for their contest which would include an application for judging.
- Our committee will be working on the issue of what to do about judges that are confirmed for a contest and do not show up without notifying the organizer that they will not available.
IT Committee – Gary Washam
Following are significant tasks worked and/or completed during the month of September:
- Updated Event Calendar with new events, updated information / event details
- Created election template on Election Runner application
- Trained Steve Brumm on Election Runner so he could monitor the election
- Restarted elections after candidate list change
- Website dropped offline for part of one day due to failure to set account for auto-renewal. Contacted Bluehost and resolved the issue and formally got account and domain name renewed for another year.
- No changes to core program operating from old website.
- Contests at Jacksonville and Panama City ran smoothly without any Scorecard problems
- Code Audit
- No progress
- REP Equipment
- Need to pick up EJ Kraus equipment and REP supplies. Plan on doing this on way to or from Lake Wales contest.
- Removed EJ from website as REP and from Scorecard.
- SW / website maintenance agreement retransmitted to Will Cleaver after FBA legal review and proposed changes made. Will is happy with the new contract. Sent clean copy to him for signature.
New Contest Liaison – Dennis Schmitz
The only events I am actively working at this time are:
Pompano – Still working to get them started. They want to hold an event, just have no idea how to do it. I have referred two different experienced Organizers to help them.
No action at this time. Earliest I would expect anything is last quarter of 2017.
Riverview – Went down and spent Friday and Sat during his non-sanctioned BBQ contest. 25 teams participated, some FBA teams, mostly Pig Jam cook teams. Contest was run well, judging area is huuuuge, adequate bathroom facilities and Rep area. Teams had 30 amp power, water was sketchy, but can be rectified. Plenty of room to host up to 75 teams, on the Alafia River, not far off I75.
He told me, and made an announcement at awards, that he would sanction in Nov 2017 with the FBA.
Event is held at the International Independent Showmens’ Association location on Riverview Drive.
NE Florida – I was contacted, and asked to not name the location, but they intend to send in a request for sanctioning within a month for a contest in the July, August time frame, 2017.
Monticello – I assisted with the non-sanctioned contest in Monticello, with 10 teams registered, and 9 teams competing. 3 FBA teams competed. I encouraged the Organizer to consider sanctioning for 2017. I will attend an after-action meeting with them to discuss sanctioning. It is my opinion that they will not sanction, due to the expectations of spending a ton of money that they do not have. I suggested that if they could not afford the 6K prize money suggested as minimum by the FBA, put in a request to sanction with what they could afford, and see if the BOD approves. Perhaps the BOD could discuss this possibility, off the record, and provide input.
I expect Wild Adventures to re-sanction for August 2017, similar to this year, max of 25 teams.
Most of the others who have contacted me will receive a follow up email at the end of Dec. I have no expectations of anyone else sanctioning next year.
- Rep Committee – Bob Youngblood
The Reps Committee has completed the new training program for contest Reps and submitted a copy to the President to be placed on the meeting agenda. We feel this is a good program that favors neither judge nor team and will produce well trained contest Representatives. However, the President feels “on first read it is excellent but, it is entirely too complex to provide to the BOD and expect approval within 48 hours. If it is provided this weekend, it will not make the agenda until next month at the earliest.” I will be sending the Board members a copy as soon as all the Reps have responded.
The Committee will be reviewing and modifying as needed the following items. At present they do not support each other.
Sanctioning Terms and Conditions
- Fun Cook – not addressed
Old Business – President
- Request the Cook’s Committee and the Judge’s Committee to finish reviewing the judges’ handbook and update the definitions and criteria for judging tenderness and appearance.
- Status of the availability and cost of a code audit for the web site. Can this be done in house? No further progress on a code audit
- Status of support services contract with Will Cleaver. Will Clever is agreeable to the revised contract.
- Status of availability of program or plug in to automate membership data. Gary Washam is reformatting the Secretary’s membership database.
- Make a list of all available discounts to FBA members and publicize that list to the membership. (New Business item 7 deals with ID cards) With the absence of a membership card Restaurant Depot cannot be accessed without a letter from Lori Frazee
- Status of Rep manual rewrite by Rep Committee. Still working on it
- Approve the results of the membership poll regarding newspapers. The majority of the membership voted NOT to have a paper. Connie Washam made a motion not to provide members with the NBBQ news or the BBQ Times.
Connie Washam – yes Pat Brannen – Yes Jim Elser – Yes
Lori Frazee – no response Kevin French – Absent Robin Yelverton – Absent
New Business – President
- Approve change to sanctioning agreement (attached) that requires the Board to withdraw the sanction for a contest if a copy of the liability insurance policy with the FBA as a named insured is not received by two weeks prior to the contest. Table this for the next meeting
- Approve changes to the Rep Manual (attached) regarding the insurance policy and lack of full payment. Table for next meeting
- Determine if the Board wants to meet on December 26, 2016. Board is ok to meet on 12/26
Louis Goldman: a while back we talked about having a page or two pages in the NBBQN. If we were going to provide the NBBQN to our members the pages would be free, but we are not so we have to purchase any pages.
Marty Hyde: he was contacted by the new Winter Haven organizer about the applications for the World Food and KC Royal and the Jack Daniel’s invitational. Jim Elser is meeting with them next week
The meeting adjourned at 9:03PM
The changes in red were not voted on in this meeting. some parts will be reconsidered in the December Board Meeting
|3rd Overall:||$||3rd Place||$|
|4th Overall:||$||4th Place||$|
|5th Overall:||$||5th Place||$|
|6th Overall:||$||6th Place||$|
|7th Overall:||$||7th Place||$|
|8th Overall:||$||8th Place||$|
|9th Overall:||$||9th Place||$|
|10th Overall:||$||10th Place||$|
|What sponsorship is already in|
|What is your advertising plan?|
The undersigned, officially representing the organization herein named, agrees to hold Florida Bar-B-Que Association, Inc. (FBA), its board of directors, officers, volunteers, and their assigns harmless from any and all claims, suits or proceedings of any nature which may be brought against them on account of any injuries to person or property received during or related to the above described event. The undersigned agrees to abide by all requirements and responsibilities for FBA sanctioned events as stated in the sanctioning requirements.
The undersigned agrees to obtain a liability insurance policy in the amount of one million dollars for the event. The FBA shall be a added to the policy as a named insured. In the event this policy is not received by the FBA at least two weeks prior to the event, the FBA shall withdraw sanctioning for the event and there shall be no refund of any amount paid to the FBA.
The undersigned agrees to execute the contest in accordance with FBA rules and regulations. Enclosed is the application fee (non- refundable).
Application for sanctioning is due six (6) months prior to the first contest date or within sixty (60) days following your contest and MUST include a non-refundable application fee of $75.00 or $150.00 for the 3-Year Option. Should sanctioning be approved, the balance of the sanctioning fee and any additional fees MUST be received by FBA 60 days prior to contest date and are non-refundable within the last 30 days prior to the contest date.
Mail this application with your check to:
679 Merioneth Drive NE
Fort Walton Beach, FL, 32547
- After the board has sanctioned a contest, consideration as to who reps the contest will be as follows. The Vice President will poll all Reps, who will have 72 hours to make their wishes known if they want to rep the contest. The Reps will then be assigned based on the following hierarchy:
- If requested by the organizer the previous year’s Reps will be asked first if they want to rep the contest again.
- The Rep(s) closest to the contest will be given the next consideration.
- Couples should be considered whenever possible.
- Desires of the Lead Rep will be considered but priority will be given to keeping cost to the organizer down.
- In the event of a special contest, such as a new contest in a distant state, the Vice President shall assign the most experienced, available Reps.
All Rep assignments made by the Vice President shall be approved by the Board of Directors
In accordance with the FBA By-Laws.
- A contest file will be started by the Lead Rep upon receipt of the Sanctioning Agreement. Lead Reps are to contact contest organizers immediately and continue to follow up on team counts, judge counts, and general logistics on a regular basis. Confirmation of the Reps arrival time should also be specified. NOTE: The sanctioning contract specifies that the Reps will be in place by noon on Friday. Completed contest files, containing all documents from the contest, including, but not limited to scoring reports, proof of insurance, judges information, team information, any publicity, applications, and contest evaluations, etc., should be consolidated and provided to the FBA secretary within 30 days of the close of the contest. The Lead Rep shall provide the Secretary with the following documents prior to the contest:
- Sanctioning Agreement
- Copy of the insurance certificate. If a copy of a liability insurance certificate for at least one million dollars and with the FBA as a named insured is not received by the Secretary at least two weeks prior to the date of the contest, the Board of Directors shall withdraw the sanction for that contest with no refund of any fees paid.
Within one week of the completion of the contest, the Lead Rep shall forward a copy of the contest evaluation, DQ paperwork and Master judge requirement cooking with a team paperwork to the Secretary. NOTE: The Secretary can recover all other required information for the contest file from the web site.
- If full payment of the sanctioning fee is not received at least two weeks prior to the event, the Treasurer shall notify the Lead Rep. The Lead Rep will attempt to resolve the problem with the organizer. If full payment is not received at least one week prior to the event, the Board of Directors may withdraw the sanction for the contest with no refund of any fees paid.