FBA News

FBA Board of Directors Meeting – October 2016

Florida BBQ Association

Board of Directors Meeting

October 24, 2016 at 8:00 PM

 

Present: Steve Brumm, Lori Frazee, Pat Brannen, Kevin French

Absent: Robin Yelverton, Jim Elser

Recorder: Connie Washam

 

Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 8:08 PM

Roll Call: All present

Approve minutes of the September BOD meeting.

Lori Frazee made a motion to approve the September minutes, Kevin French 2nd the motion carried

 

Business conducted by email – Connie Washam

 

Kevin French made a motion to approve the new revised FBA Contest Rep. schedule for 2017. Connie Washam 2nd.  The motion carried.

Lori Frazee – Yes                Kevin French – Yes       Connie Washam – Yes               Jim Elser – Yes

Robin Yelverton – No Response                   Pat Brannen – No Response

 

Financial Status Report

$19,715.63 – PNC

$  1,916.13 – Paypal

 

$21,631.76 – Total

 

Membership Report – Secretary, Connie Washam

Individual: Braden Chandler, Jerry Padot, Jason Boyce, Kennieth Richardson, Bill Sage, Donald Lewis, Gilbert Victorino (7)

Family: Ted and Gail Kress (1)

688 total households, 829 total members

 

Get Well Cards sent to Marty Hyde and Tom Thorne

Condolence card sent to Donna Ray

 

Committee Reports:

  1. Organizers Committee: No Report

 

  1. Cooks Committee: Ben Purvis, No Report

 

  1. Rep Committee: Bob Youngblood

Extended an invitation to all reps to be a part of the rep committee.  presently we are developing a location map to show where the contests are and where the reps live.  will be a valuable tool for us.  we are down to about 10 days on the new rep training program.  Bob has emailed each of the board members one of the board members an outline of the new contest rep training program.  There really are no qualifiers to become a contest representative

 

  1. Judges Committee – Louis Goldman: No Report
  2. New Contest Liaison – Dennis Schmitz:
Date NotifiedContest LocationDate ContactedAction/StatusFollow upMileage R/T
2/23/2016Chattahoochee4/6/20162017 possible contestDec-16
Nothing new
2/24/2016Marianna6/15/2016No change in status-waiting for upgrades
in venue, new organization
Nothing new
9/14/2016Spoke with Nick Rickman, he wanted to
know if May 4, 5 2017 was open-I advised
it was open and he needed to act to secure16-Dec
2/26/2016Mims5/14/2018Plans on hold for 2016
Hope to have someone at the Mims
Gary visited-they will consider an event if it does
cost them money-Have sent them info to review16-Dec
3/26/2016Titusville5/22/2016No reply to email inquiry
Oct 16 email-no response-will not contact again
5/10/2016Palm Coast6/15/2016They are not interested in putting on a
contest-Want to have one come to area
Will not contact any further
5/30/2016Lake Park, FL5/30/2016Sent email-No response
6/2/2016Sent follow up email, no response, no
phone number-wants event 10/2/2016
16-JulSent email-No response
12-AugSent email-No response
Will not contact any further
6/6/2016Jaguars5/31/2016Had a Telecon scheduled-they did not
follow through-sent a follow up email
No Response
13-AugSent email-No response
Will not contact any further
6/6/2016Ft Gaines, GA6/6/2016Sent email, left voice mail-no response
Currently has an event, wants to grow it
No response
Sent email, no response will not contact
6/9/2016Davenport6/9/2016Contest already sanctioned
16-AugWinterhaven8/16/2016Received notification from Pop Marshall
and Gary Washam that two people at
Citrus Boys/Girls wanted info- contacted
both-awaiting answer
Have not heard from anyone
8/17/2016Pompano8/18/2016Sent email and started process Nov 16
9/9/2016Spoke with Tom and discussed process
He attended Davenport event to gain
insight-Asked him to contact Angela for
more input
9/8/2016Crystal River9/23/2016Lori Frazee will do site inspection this
date-Contest app received for  3/10-11/17
will follow-up after site survey
contest approved-no further contact
9/15/2016Minneola9/20/2016Spoke with Juan De La Cruz -They are
interested in sanctioning for 2017-
Currently successful BY event, want to
 Do not believe this will lead to a contest
9/15/2016Riverview9/20/2016 Spoke with R. Burn- They are interested
in sanctioning Nov 2017
Spoke with him at Tavares this year,
Believe this one will happen
Organizer plans on one event next year, maybe
two-trying to meet on Nov 44-Nov
Date NotifiedContest LocationDate ContactedAction/StatusFollow upMileage R/T
2/23/2016Chattahoochee4/6/20162017 possible contestDec-16
Nothing new
2/24/2016Marianna6/15/2016No change in status-waiting for upgrades
in venue, new organization
Nothing new
9/14/2016Spoke with Nick Rickman, he wanted to
know if May 4, 5 2017 was open-I advised
it was open and he needed to act to secure16-Dec
2/26/2016Mims5/14/2018Plans on hold for 2016
Hope to have someone at the Mims
Gary visited-they will consider an event if it does
cost them money-Have sent them info to review16-Dec
3/26/2016Titusville5/22/2016No reply to email inquiry
Oct 16 email-no response-will not contact again
5/10/2016Palm Coast6/15/2016They are not interested in putting on a
contest-Want to have one come to area
Will not contact any further
5/30/2016Lake Park, FL5/30/2016Sent email-No response
6/2/2016Sent follow up email, no response, no
phone number-wants event 10/2/2016
16-JulSent email-No response
12-AugSent email-No response
Will not contact any further
6/6/2016Jaguars5/31/2016Had a Tele-con scheduled, they did not
follow through-sent a follow up email
No Response
13-AugSent email-No response
Will not contact any further
6/6/2016Ft Gaines, GA6/6/2016Sent email, left voice mail-no response
Currently has an event, wants to grow it
No response
Sent email, no response will not contact
6/9/2016Davenport6/9/2016Contest already sanctioned
16-AugWinterhaven8/16/2016Received notification from Pop Marshall
and Gary Washam that two people at
Citrus Boys/Girls wanted info- contacted
both-awaiting answer
Have not heard from anyone
8/17/2016Pompano8/18/2016Sent email and started process Nov 16
9/9/2016Spoke with Tom and discussed process
He attended Davenport event to gain
insight-Asked him to contact Angela for
more input
9/8/2016Crystal River9/23/2016Lori Frazee will do site inspection this
date-Contest app received for  3/10-11/17
will follow-up after site survey
contest approved-no further contact
9/15/2016Minneola9/20/2016Spoke with Juan De La Cruz -They are
interested in sanctioning for 2017-
Currently successful BY event, want to
 Do not believe this will lead to a contest
9/15/2016Riverview9/20/2016 Spoke with R. Burn- They are interested
in sanctioning Nov 2017
Spoke with him at Tavares this year,
Believe this one will happen
Organizer plans on one event next year, maybe
two-trying to meet on Nov 44-Nov
10/20/2016South Florida10/24/2016Sent email to Alicia Lurye, a promoter, from
South Florida who inquired if we sanction events
in South Florida-Gave her info, waiting for response
10/20/2016South Florida10/24/2016Sent email to Alicia Lurye, a promoter, from
South Florida who inquired if we sanction events
in South Florida-Gave her info, waiting for response

 

Marketing Committee:  Matt Barber , No committee report

 

IT Committee Report: Gary Washam – We have purchased the plug in to help manage the membership.

Contract with Will Cleaver needs a little tweaking.

Gary will get the member discount links posted on the website.  Home Depot, Restaurant Depot, etc.

 

Old Business: Steve Brumm
1. Automate the table selection by the following criteria: Adopt the stand alone program proposed by Jim Elser to automatically route boxes to trays.  This item will be postponed to November

2.  Request the Cook’s Committee and the Judge’s Committee to finish reviewing the judges’ handbook and update the definitions and criteria for judging tenderness and appearance.  Should be ready for review in about two weeks

3.  Status of the availability and cost of a code audit for the web site.  Can this be done in house?

There is no one willing to do Score Card source code for less than the quotes gary Washam has already submitted.

  1. Status of availability of program or plug in to automate membership data. Purchased the MemberPress plug in to help manage the membership database.  Module cost was $97.00.5.  Instruct IT committee to check every tab on the website and make sure it functions correctly and eliminate “under construction” areas.  All “under construction” tabs are nonexistent.

    6. Status of Rep manual rewrite by Rep Committee.

    7.  ID cards for members

    8. BBQ News Poll Results – Kevin made a motion that we send out another survey of the preliminary poll results Lori Frazee 2nd. The motion Carried

Pat Brannen – yes               Kevin French – yes                    Lori Frazee – yes           Connie Washam – no

New Business: Steve Brumm

1. Winter Haven 2017 & 2018 contest date conflict with Apopka.  We have a sanction agreement from Winterhaven for 2018-2019.  But we do not have a sanctioning agreement with Apopka for 2018-2019.
Bob Youngblood will contact Chuck Carnesale regarding Apopka’s sanctioning agreements for 2018/2019.
Member comments

Mike Deming: belated thanks, Steve & Lorne Brumm and Kevin Van Der Schaf of Double Deuces BBQ the team that cooked the samples, for leaving their homes during the storms a month ago to conduct the judges class…very enthusiastic group taking the seminar.  They did FBA proud
Marty Hyde: Norm Cukras passed away.
Motion to adjourn.  all in favor hang up.

Meeting adjourned at: 8:59 PM

 

Next meeting: November 28, 2016,  at 8:00 PM EDT via Teleconference. Call in number: 347-989-1121

Respectfully submitted.

Connie Washam