FBA Board of Directors Meeting – October 2012
FBA Board of Directors Meeting – October 29, 2012
8:00 pm Meeting Open
Board Members Present: Dana Hillis, Tony Wolfe, Gail Cushing, Ricky Ginsburg, Damon Wooley, Ed Hartwig
Guests in Attendance: : Marty Hyde, Henry Scott, Katie Buchanan, Mac McLaughlin, Wendy Wolfe.
August minutes approved by email. No September meeting due to BOD schedule conflicts that month.
- Triple Crown invitations were sent out. The organization does not have mailing information on 3 teams and is unable to send invitations to Heavenly Hogs, LJ Smokin, Smokey Butts.
- Foggy Bottom Bar-B-Que Bash in Elba, Alabama was listed incorrectly in the BBQ News. The correct information was sent in and the News made the proper adjustments.
- There are extra calendars and will be sold at the contests for $10 each.
- The wording was re-written by the judges committee and received a favorable vote from the BOD. The Judges manual stated: What if the same is cold? Do not reduce the score for that. (pg.11). The Judges manual now states: If the sample is cold, score subjectively.
Treasurer’s Report – Ricky Ginsburg:
- Total Assets: $28,006.84, no outstanding bills
- Database: 778 Members total of whom 22 are Lifetime, 10 are Restaurant, and 6 are Corporate. We have 187 Teams and 508 Judges.
- Total cost: $4138.63 for 800 calendars = 5.17 each
- Last year: $6636.69 for 750 calendars = 8.85 each
Membership – Gail M. Cushing: 17 new members
Contests – Damon Wooley: Contests voted by the Board to Sanction:
- Pompano Beach, April 2013, St. Petersburg, November 2013, Tampa, FL, Indian River, FL, Sebastian River Elks Club, Lakeland (same date as Punta Gorda), Tallahassee (same date as Dothan).
- There was a lengthy discussion surrounding Dothan, AL contest being within 100 miles of a potentially new contest in Tallahassee. The sanction agreement states there has to be 150 miles between contests that are scheduled for the same date. Board members feel that enough teams from the south will be drawn to the Tallahassee contest and enough northern teams will compete at Dothan so both contests will be a success. Since this is a sanction agreement issue, both the organizers need to agree to the shortened distance before the FBA can move forward with the new contest.
Judges Committee: Marty Hyde
- The new topic for the committee surrounded how to help new judges gain entry into the contests. Several points were submitted to the BOD by Chair Marty Hyde.
- New judges are classified as have only judged 1-5 contests.
- Backyard reserved for new judges
- Set up an online link for all judges to apply
- Each organizer set up a link for their contest
- Have more tables to accommodate more judges by reducing samples per table.
The BOD is still discussing the different points.
Bylaws Committee – Tom Snow – not present. Mr. Snow did submit the bylaw changes to Tom Sadaka for review.
Old Business: No old business.
- The Triple Crown was discussed in detail. How it was formed, What its purpose is, What location it should be held in, How will it be funded, What its future will bring. The BOD could not come to a conclusion to the business surrounding the event. There is one more BOD meeting before the elections and the Board members agreed to table all discussion about the Triple Crown until a later date when it can be discussed in more detail through emails and be presented at the next board meeting.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:12 pm
Respectfully submitted by: Gail M. Cushing
Next Meeting: November 26, 2012