FBA Board of Directors Meeting – October 2011
FBA Board of Directors Meeting – October 31, 2011
8:00 pm Meeting Open
Board Members Present: Tony Wolfe, Dana Hillis, Ricky Ginsburg, Ed Hartwig
Guests in Attendance: Mac McLaughlin, Ray Lesko, Wendy Wolfe, Henry Scott
September minutes approved by email
- Ed will be assigning contest reps by the end of the week
- Ricky Ginsburg asked about Gregg Snyder’s status – has not responded to any rep calls – Dana will talk to him at Waycross and report back
Treasurer’s Report – Ricky Ginsburg:
- Total Assets: $50,238.09, no outstanding bills
- Database: 709 members of which, 17 are life members, 14 are restaurant members, and 8 are corporate members
209 teams and 412 judges
Membership – Gary Blevins: no report
- Forest does not want to be the new contest representative – Dana has spoken to Damon Wooley about taking over.
- Jacksonville contest – has not picked a prize payout, name still needs to be addressed
- Ft. Myers – date issue – they are now the 3/16 & 3/17 and conflict with Pampano Beach – it is too close. Suggest they move back to 3/30 and 3/31 – they would only conflict with Ocala which is outside the mileage restriction.
- Isle Casino BBQ – they have received their packet and have more questions – Ricky Ginsburg with meet with them to answer questions.
- Ft. Pierce – May 11th & 12th – needs a site inspection. Dana had contacted Big Bad Wolf, but has not heard back. He will check into it again.
- Audit – Dana has requested an audit report but has not received it yet. We should have it by the end of the week and Dana will forward it along.
- Non-renewing members – a draft of a letter/survey has been circulated to the board. Lou Goldman will be in touch with Dana at Waycross regarding this.
- FBA Calendars have been ordered.
- Triple Crown – Ribbons have been ordered. Dana is getting prices for custom cutting boards with meat cleavers to use as trophies. Reps – Ed will be making reservations for the Reps working the Invitational. Rules for next year. Ricky Ginsburg made a previous motion to change the rules to designated 9 qualifying contests. Teams must cook any three to qualify. The highest 3 scores from any of the 9 qualifiers would count. Overall ranking would be used to send out invitations. Dana requested that the board revisit the email and submit thoughts via email.
- Sponsorship – we need to get a jump on sponsorship for next year. It does not appear that Smithfield will be returning due to a lack of financial impact. We have limited perks to attract sponsors.
- Alternatives for the Triple Crown need to be explored. How much longer can the FBA run the triple crown? 7 or 8 teams have already declined for this year. Some teams that will be invited have only cooked 1 or 2 contests. Does this defeat the purpose?
- This board must make a decision before Jan. 1st.
- Venice – we have a conflict with the judges seminar. The organizer has requested it be changed to 4pm in order to allow the new judges to attend the meet and greet with the teams and other judges. The board is concerned about the travel time since the participants are traveling to Venice for the class. Dana will contact the organizer to try to form a resolution.
- State Championship banner for Elba – Tony will contact Terry McKay to see if one is already made. If not, he will get it made and either shipped to Elba or sent with Dana.
Merchandise Report – Tony Wolfe:
- $180 in sales at Zephyrhills – check is already sent to Ricky.
- Ricky requested a full inventory with total value be submitted prior to the end of the year after the completion of the Perry contest.
New Business: none
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:55 pm
Next meeting: November 28, 2011