FBA Board of Directors Minutes – August 2017
Present: Steve Brumm, Ed Shemanski, Ben Purvis,
Recorder: Connie Washam
Absent: Jim Elser, Matt Barber, Robin Yelverton
Guests: Dennis Schmitz, Lou Goldman, Tim Giebeig, David Haskett, Angela Iverson, Lee Thompson, Jim Frazee,
Call to Order: Meeting called to order at 8:07 PM
Approve July minutes: Ed Shemanski made a motion to approve the July minutes,
Business conducted by email: Status on the Pinellas County BBQ contest in October. There is very little known.
Financial Report – Robin Yelverton, No Report
Membership Report – Connie Washam
New members, Individual: Carl Griffith, Jacob Whetstone (2)
Restaurant: Memphis Jax, Katy & Kyle Alexander and Paul Rudnicki
Consent Agenda – President
- Approve an Official FBA Facebook page
- Approve Ed Shemanski as Chairman for the Social Network Committee
- Approve Kissimmee Reps for 3-24-18: Bob Youngblood – lead, Jim Dehne, Gary Washam, Connie Washam
- Approve Team of the Year trophies for the top ten $300.00
- Authorize the Rep Committee to solicit applications from members
in Central and South Florida to enter Rep Training.
- Approve Reps for the pending Pinellas contest subject to BOD
approval of sanctioning agreement. Gary Washam – Lead, Connie
Washam, Jim Dehne.
- Approve extending this year’s JOTY until the fun cook and then
running the JOTY from fun cook to fun cook.
- Approve a donation of $1,000. donation to Operation BBQ Relief for Hurricane Harvey outreach.
Connie Washam made a motion to approve the consent agenda. Ed Shemanski 2nd. The motion carried.
Cook Teams Committee – Ben Purvis: no report
Judges Committee – Louis Goldman: No official report but, Rub Bagby has brought up the removal of one sentence in the newly approved Judges Handbook. *The sentence is on Page 5, under c. Definition of Taste and Tenderness, 3rd Sentence: “Taste and tenderness are both very subjective and you have to determine your own level of tenderness.”
Our committee would like to at least keep the first part of the sentence intact, up to the word “and” since we feel that it’s very hard to take the subjectivity out of judging in that a judge has 11 choices of scoring with each level of scoring having only a 1-3 word definition.
Our committee will accept whatever the BOD approves.
IT Committee – Gary Washam:
Completed the migration of our servers from Go Daddy to Blue Host. We ran the Valdosta Contest from Bluehost, everything seems to be stable.
New Contest Liaison – Dennis Schmitz: The only new contest that is working and viable is the Pinellas Contest. He is waiting to hear from Robin if she has received the sanctioning agreement.
Rep Committee – Dennis Schmitz and Lorne Brumm: Try to recruit some contests in Georgia.
Marketing Committee – Matt Barber
- Marketing strategy and Marketing brochure:
- Fun Cook update.
Old Business – President
- FBA handling the selection of judges, Kissimmee and Zephyrhills requesting to have FBA handle the judges sign ups.
Lake Wales sign up went very smoothly. Ed Shemanski will contact the GBA regarding their method of signing up their Judges.
- FBA Sanctioned Backyard events. Dennis Schmitz says he had a conversation with Jim Elser at Valdosta and he had some concerns. The board did not take any action on the rule changes that need to go with it. the Board did not take action on the adjusted sanctioning agreement. Jim indicated that he was going to bring it up before the board for discussion. Dennis will resend the two documents for reconsideration.
- Judges overall spreadsheet for judges scores at individual contests. This was a spreadsheet that highlighted the low score and the high score in the spreadsheet. We’ll figure out a way to make this available for each contest.
Lou Goldman: thought the score sheet was very useful
Dennis Schmitz: thought the score sheet was very helpful
- Fun Cook Update: no report This contest is where we will roll out the new judges training class
- Deadline to apply to hold a FBA State Championship. A vote will be taken at the September meeting to determine and announce what contest will be the 2018 FBA Florida State Championship contest. Connie Washam will try to pull a list together
- Elections: we need to put up a page for possible candidates to nominate someone or nominate themselves. October 1st. Paper Ballots will become available November 12th and start the electronic voting the 6th of December and close it on the 12th of December.
Connie Washam made a motion that the online ballot for the upcoming election be limited to one week. Ben Purvis 2nd. the motion carried.
Ben purvis made a motion that we open nominations the 1st of October and close the nominations October 31st.
Ben Purvis made a motion that the Paper Ballots will become available November 12th and the electronic voting will begin 12/6/2017 and all voting will close 12/12/2017 Ed Shemanski 2nd. The motion carried
- Nominations for the FBA Virtual Hall of Fame. Gary Washam will develop a form to be sent to FBA members for them to make nominations for the FBA Virtual Hall of Fame. He will then send that form for approval by the BOD
- “Taste and tenderness are both very subjective and you have to determine your own level of tenderness.”
Connie Washam: feels it should be left in the judges handbook
Ben Purvis: would like to see it removed.
A decision regarding this change to the judges handbook should be tabled until there is more BOD representation.
Comments from members:
Lou Goldman: Gary, since we had the figures for Valdosta, and put that judges summary on line now.
Dennis Schmitz: nominations for FBA Hall of Fame it would be prudent for the BOD will set some parameters set for who should be considered. We should also have a cutoff for nominations for running for the Board of Directors. Additionally in the discussion on the complaint for the judges manual, pull off the judges handbook. Finally we need to develop a policy for the turn in boxes.
The meeting adjourned at
Next BOD meeting Monday, September 25, 2017 at 8:00PM
Call in number 1-712-451-0294 Access Code: 184732