FBA Board of Directors Minutes – September 2017
Florida BBQ Association
Board of Directors Meeting
October 3, 2017 at 8:00 PM
Present: Jim Elser, Steve Brumm, Ed Shemanski, Ben Purvis, Matt Barber
Recorder: Connie Washam
Absent: Robin Yelverton
Guests: Dennis Schmitz, Jim Dehney, Lou Goldberg, Doug Francis, Gail & Rick Dimaggio, Cullen Logan, Chris & Marie Yarbrough, Neil Thaggard,
Call to Order: Meeting called to order at 8:04
Approve August minutes: Steve Brumm made a motion to approve the August Minutes
Business conducted by email: Connie Washam made a motion to allow Bob Youngblood take the place of Lori Frazee for the Perry Contest. Ed Shemanski 2nd. The motion Carried
Connie Washam – Yes Ed Shemanski – Yes Ben Purvis – Yes Steve Brumm – Yes Matt Barber – Yes
Robin Yelverton – No Response
Financial Report – Robin Yelverton
There is so much money in the paypal account to make sure that there is enough for the TOTY payout
Membership Report – Connie Washam
No new members in August
Consent Agenda – President
- Approve Fall Apopka’s event 10-27/28-2017
- Approve Apopka Reps for October’s contest: Gary Washam (Lead), Connie Washam, Jim Dehne, Ed Shemanski, Sheilah & Frank Jones. (due to previous commitments, Jim Dehne is unable to rep Fall Apopka)
Steve Brumm made a motion to accept the consent agenda
Cook Teams Committee – Ben Purvis: will wait until old business
Judges Committee – Louis Goldman: No report this month
No official report but, Rub Bagby has brought up the removal of one sentence in the newly approved Judges Handbook. *The sentence is on Page 5, under c. Definition of Taste and Tenderness, 3rd Sentence: “Taste and tenderness are both very subjective and you have to determine your own level of tenderness.”
Our committee would like to at least keep the first part of the sentence intact, up to the word “and” since we feel that it’s very hard to take the subjectivity out of judging in that a judge has 11 choices of scoring with each level of scoring having only a 1-3 word definition.
Our committee will accept whatever the BOD approves.
IT Committee – Gary Washam: Not much happening right now because of the hurricane and OBR deployment we’ve not been able to pursue new enhancements.
New Contest Liaison – Dennis Schmitz: The only new contest that is working and viable is the Pinellas Contest. He is waiting to hear from Robin if she has received the sanctioning agreement.
Davenport is trying to get hold of our treasurer for the tax ID for a potential new contest.
Rep Committee – with the new training program, it would appear that the in depth training that goes on before the first contest it is possible that 5 contests may be excessive. there is the possibility that we could allow training based on their performance. If the new rep in training was not ready after three contests they would do the last two for the standard protocol.
Marketing Committee – Matt Barber
- Marketing strategy and Marketing brochure: not had a chance to do anything with it. Matt has been concentrating on the fun cook.
- Fun Cook update.
Social Media committee – the site has been established, but has not been activated. Tim Giebeig, Connie Washam are now on the committee.
Old Business – President
- FBA handling the selection of judges – we will try the GBA format to eliminate the anxiety of 1st come 1st in. will be a longer period of signing up and the Lead Rep will take the responsibility of assigning judges for the contest. Will be a simple set of criteria for the lead reps to make a more equitable. Zephyrhills will be the first contest to try this new format. It is only a list of people interested in judging a particular contest.
- FBA Sanctioned Backyard events. Dennis sent the two documents for reconsideration.
$150 per rep, $50. to FBA, 24 team maximum, 2,500. max payout.
- Implementing a judges score sheet for individual contests. Gary has not done the sheet for Dothan yet, but there have only been 3-4 interested in the breakdown of the scores for a particular contest. All they have to do is email Gary for their judges numbers.
- Fun Cook Update: This contest is where we will roll out the new judges training class. December 8, 9, 10 of December. Should have a judges application as well as a team application available next week. Matt is looking for a sponsorship. Matt will make a presentation to Publix Corporate. Will have more updates to come.
Steve Brumm made a motion that we approve the Fun Cook on the above dates. Matt Barber, the motion carried.
- “Taste and tenderness are both very subjective and you have to determine your own level of tenderness.”
The decision has been tabled until there is more BOD representation.
- Deadline to apply to hold a FBA State Championship. A vote will be taken at the September meeting to determine and announce what contest will be the 2018 FBA Florida State Championship contest. Kissimmee, Eagle Lake, Naples, Venice, submitted applications to have the state championship be held at their contests
Matt Barber made a motion that the State championship be held at the Eagle Lake Contest for 2018. Connie 2nd the motion carried unanimously.
Connie Washam made a motion that the 2019 state championship be held at the Kissimmee Rib Rodeo, Ed Shemanski 2nd. the motion carried. Connie Washam, Ed Shemanski, Matt Barber, Ben Purvis, Yes, Steve Brumm – No
- Elections: Page is up, candidates interested are posting their resumes
- Nominations for the FBA Virtual Hall of Fame. Gary Washam will develop a form to be sent to FBA members for them to make nominations for the FBA Virtual Hall of Fame. He will then send that form for approval by the BOD.
Rep assistants for Pro Contests: we need to really review this carefully.
Comments from members:
Lou Goldman: Echo Dennis we have a potential of losing more contests. In favor of the back yard contest. There will always be a variety of judges score because we are dealing with humans. Would like to see the judges manual stay as is with regard to the taste and tenderness.
Tim Giebeig: score cards this weekend were the old score cards. a couple of people complained that we weren’t using the new ones.
Jim Dehny: there is a way to save the contest organizers some money but will discuss later
Dennis Schmitz: would like to make a point that Naples struggles to get enough teams to support the contest. A state championship would really help them bring more team participation.
The meeting adjourned at 9:29 PM
Next BOD meeting Monday, October 30, 2017 at 8:00 PM
Call in number 1-712-451-0294 Access Code: 184732