FBA Board of Directors Minutes – May 2019
Florida BBQ Association
Board of Directors Meeting
May 20, 2019 at 8:00 PM
Present: Ben Purvis, Ed Shemanski, Shelby Lomen, Steve Brumm, Lou Goldman
Absent: Matt Barber
Recorder Connie Washam
Guests: Dennis Schmitz, Tim Giebeig, Kenny Shiflett, Jim Frazee, Steve Carrington
Call to Order: 8:02 PM
Approve BOD minutes for April 2019. Sent 5/9/2019
Ed Shemanski made a motion to approve the April minutes, Steve Brumm 2nd
The motion carried
Business conducted by email:
Shelby Lomen made a motion to approve the “Ham Jam” October 18-19, 2019 in Green Cove Springs, FL. Matt Barber 2nd. The motion carried
Financial Report – Shelby Lomen
PayPal: $11,094.60. Approximately $6080.90 is Big Belly’s
Total balance: $
Membership Report – Connie Washam
Renewal reminders will be going out the end of the month for those whose memberships expire June 31st
- Approve Reps for the 1st Coast Ham Jam; Gary Washam (Lead) Connie Washam, Jim Dehne
See business conducted by email.
Cook Teams Committee – Matt Barber, no report
Judges Committee – Jim Frazee: judges committee is working on the issues discussed over the last couple of meetings when Matt Barber returns we will work on the verbiage to define family
IT Committee – Gary Washam
Just worked with Shelby and all hot spots are suspended until we need them individually again in August.
Rep Training Committee – Gary Washam
New Contest Liaison – Dennis Schmitz, no report
Rep Committee – Charles Golden, no report
Marketing/Social Media Committee Social committee meeting: Shelby Lomen – No report
Old Business – President, No old business
Terms and conditions for Back Yard contests:
“The following steps must be done for FBA Contest Sanctioning! Request for Sanctioning Form – All Contests, new and repeat, MUST submit this form, signed and dated where indicated. The FBA Board of Directors will not approve sanctioning without a signed and dated copy of this form. The FBA Board of Directors reserves the right to wave any requirement listed below via a majority vote.
Ed Shemanski made a motion that the above sentence, The FBA Board of Directors reserves the right to wave any requirement listed below via a majority vote, be added to the sanctioning agreement. Connie Washam 2nd
The motion carried with 4 in favor and 1 opposed vote.
- Leesburg Contest; January 24th & 25th. Plenty of power and water. Police & Fire Department hosting, held at the Harley Davidson. If any competitor needs to leave early will be positioned so they can leave early.
- Back Yard only; their payout is $3,200. Total payout is more than our maximum of 2,500.
- They want to up team participation to 30 teams as opposed to the 24 max teams.
Shelby Lomen made a motion to approve the new contest in Leesburg with payout and team number changes, Connie Washam 2nd. The motion carried unanimously
- Contests are color coded on the website so we need to color designate Back Yard only contests a different color.
- State Championship: There is a letter that will be sent out to all contest organizers that qualify.
- Big Belly has more than doubled its competitors from last year.
John Solomon: glad the BOD received his letter requesting the state championship designation. Apalachicola contest would truly benefit from being the Florida State Championship.
The meeting adjourned at 8:58 PM
Next BOD meeting: June 24, 2019 @ 8:00 PM