The Team of the Year program (TOTY)
TOTY recognizes those FBA cook teams that have perfected barbecue recipes after many sanctioned contests and years of experimentation. Is it the best barbecue? Well, judging by the points, we’d have to say it’s certainly the best in the minds of our FBA certified judges!
The Team of the Year race begins each year with the first contest after the annual FBA Funcook in December. It ends with the last contest of the year, just before the FBA Funcook.
The Top 10 teams receive awards at the Celebrate Last Year party held at the Funcook and the number one team has their cook team name inscribed in the Joby Stanaland Team of the Year Trophy, donated by the very first TOTY winners – The Sorry Boys: Chip Faul and Gary Leyman – in 2002 and named after the FBA’s first president.
Previous Pro TOTY Winners
2019 – Pig-Chicka-Cow-Cow
2018 – Pig-Chicka-Cow-Cow
2017 – Swamp Boys
2016 – Sweet Smoke Q
2015 – Hot Wachula’s
2014 – Sweet Smoke Q
2013 – Hot Wachula’s
2012 – Big Papa’s Country Kitchen
2011 – Get-R-Smoked
2010 – Big Papa’s Country Kitchen
2009 – Swamp Boys
2008 – Swamp Boys
2007 – Home BBQ
2006 – Home BBQ
2005 – Home BBQ
2004 – Home BBQ
2003 – Home BBQ
2002 – Sorry Boys
2020 Pro Team of the Year Rules
- You must cook all 4 categories to receive any overall points. If you miss a turn-in or get disqualified in a category that will not keep you from getting points in other meat categories. However that will greatly affect your overall points for that contest.
- Overall Points will be awarded based on the team count of the contest. GC will be worth a value equal to the amount of teams at the contest divided by 2. A maximum of 30 points for GC and a minimum of 10. See TOTY overall points schedule.
- Category points will be awarded as follows; 1st place will get 10, 2nd place will get 9. This formula will continue through 10th place being awarded 1 point. These points are not tied to the team count as the Overall points are. They are, however, subject to the double point’s rule of a State Championship.
- Contests designated as State Championships will earn double points in Participation, Category and Overall. Overall points will be capped at 60 to be in-line with the maximum of 30 points for a non-championship contest.
- TOTY points may be challenged up to 30 day after a contest.
- No substitute cook teams will be able to participate in the absence of the head cook for the purpose of accumulation of TOTY points.
- No cook teams can split up and compete in 2 separate FBA contests the same weekend for the purpose of accumulation of TOTY points.
- The participation of regular cook team members without the head cook will be subject to review and interpretation by the FBA Board of Directors to determine if TOTY points will be awarded.
- The FBA Funcook does not count toward Pro TOTY points.
- TOTY points and points for other FBA programs will only be awarded to teams where the head cook is a member of the FBA.
- The total points at the end of the year will determine the Team of the Year.
- Only a tie for first place (Team of the Year) will be determined by the total accumulated scores from each contest the teams have cooked; all other places allow for a tie.
- Numbers in each place column represent number of times team has placed at that position. Numbers under Total, Chick, Rib, Pork and Brisket are total points in that category. Points per contest is total points divided by the number of contests. (Shows per contest performance) Batting Average is Total Points divided by # of contests, divided by 100 (shows per contest performance). Average Rank shows the ranking of team based on per contest performance.
Pro Team of the Year 2020 – Standings as of February 15th 2020
2020 Backyard Team of the Year Rules
- All FBA member teams can only compete for TOTY points in one division. If you are a Backyard team you can compete in Pro only event but you will not receive TOTY points earned in the Pro Division.
- Any Backyard team that wishes to move to Pro TOTY can do so at any time but will forfeit all Backyard TOTY points earned up to that point.
- Points for Backyard TOTY will begin December at the Fun Cook and end at the last Backyard contest before the Funcook the following year.
- Points can be earned at any contest offering a Backyard Division.
- Backyard TOTY will be determined by using each teams 5 highest scoring contests
- Points for categories will be 1 point for 10th place going up to 10 points for 1st place in each category
- Points for overall will be earned only if the contest has a minimum of 3 categories. If the contest meets this requirement points will be the same as in categories 1 point for 10th place and going up 10 points for 1st place overall.
- Any team that wins the Backyard TOTY can continue to compete as a Backyard team in future years but will not be eligible for Backyard TOTY points.
Backyard Team of the Year 2020 – Standings as of February 15th 2020