Training Requirements to become a Certified FBA BBQ Judge
Judging classes are currently scheduled for:
Sign up for the judging classes by going to the Events page and selecting the Seminar event you wish to attend and then selecting the Judge SignUp link.
- Classes close two weeks prior, without exception!
- Registrations received after the cutoff date or at the seminar class will incur an additional $10 late fee.
- Registrations may be cancelled or changes made prior to the cutoff date without penalty.
- Individuals who are “NO SHOWS” or cancel within the two week period shall forfeit their registration fee.
- Judge candidates must be at least 18 years of age and be able speak and read English.
- Classes are limited in size and will be closed when that number is reached. Check the SignUp Sheet for details.
- Taking an FBA judges’ seminar does not guarantee that you will judge at that particular contest.
- Emergencies regarding cancellation or requiring changes will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.
The cost for the Judge’s Seminar is $50.
Certified BBQ Judges must be a member of FBA and their membership must be current in order to judge an FBA sanctioned contest.
Individual membership is $40 and family membership is $60 and is not included in the seminar fee. All membership fees are non-refundable.
Current FBA Members need only to pay the cost of $50 for the seminar unless you need to renew your membership.
Once you have completed the Judge’s Seminar (approx. 3 hours including judging meat categories) you will be a certified FBA judge, ready to judge your first contest. You will receive your FBA Judges badge at the completion of the seminar or soon thereafter if you are a current member.
Registering for FBA Judges Seminars is via the Event Calendar by selecting the preferred seminar event and purchasing a ticket to the seminar online or paying at the door (check the event details). Registration for a training seminar can only occur during the active registration period when signup options are shown on the event page. When the class is full or the registration close date has been reached, it will no longer be possible to register for the seminar.
If you purchase a ticket online to attend a judges seminar, you will receive a confirmation email when the purchase is completed and a separate email with the ticket which must be taken to the seminar to gain admittance. Each ticket will be validated against the registration list by the lead instructor at the seminar. If the online ticket purchase is unavailable and payment is at the door, you will receive a registration email acknowledgement which you must bring with you to the seminar.
Below is a link to the FBA Judges Handbook, which must be downloaded and reviewed by each seminar attendee prior to the class.